Tuesday, December 7, 2010

BLOG 2 - HOW THE ENVIRONMENT AFFECTS THE ORGANISMS

An environment consists all the living and non-living things that occur naturally on Earth. As part of the living components of the environment, we observe a variety and variability of different life forms on Earth. These life forms include all plants, animals, protists, bacteria and fungi that naturally live and grow on the Earth as well as their habitats and all of the natural processes of which they are a part. Of course, I can not see all of these organisms unless I use a microscope for the microscopic ones. We recognize the presence of a diverse group of organisms as our life support system because it provides everything we need in order to survive. Such support includes the air we breathe, the food we eat, and the medicines that we take to keep us strong and healthy. Important abiotic components that have a profound influence on the organisms in order to survive and sustain existence include temperature, light intensity, concentration of oxygen, carbon dioxide, wind exposure, availability of chemicals, soil type, etc.

In the advent of global industrialization, we expect the proliferation of many establishments all over the parts of the globe. In Laguna, industrialization continues to dominate some areas of the locality affecting the rate at which the organisms operate at maximum efficiency. For example, the construction of SM outlets in Calamba and San Pablo City and the nearly to be finished Health Serve Hospital in Los Banos, Laguna will contribute to pollution all over the Laguna Lake. I really appreciate looking at these buildings as I see them along the stretches of Calamba, San Pablo and Los Banos. Moreso, I experience the happiness everytime my family and I visit these places and explore what is inside. These establishments may not be as large as SM North Edsa or SM MOA, though. Just recently, my family had a hop from SM Sta. Rosa to SM Calamba and to SM San Pablo. We really enjoyed doing this stuff but when we took our dinner at a fastfood chain in SM Pablo where we had the last stop, I could not help but think about the wastes of the food chain as the crew was holding the trash bag full of trash for disposal. I even asked my kids, “where will such wastes be thrown?” My kids were so sensitive about this and we shared the same concern. Then, while eating, we had an educational discussion about the problem, particularly on water pollution. My kids and husband were laughing at me because, I, being a teacher dominated the discussion. Of course, I had to capitalize on that so that they would all listen to me and learn from me. Then, I started sharing to them bits of information about water pollution. I told them that though some solid waste materials may be recycled, the non-biodegradable stuff will just pile up in an area where they are deposited. And since this part of the year that we are still under the effect of the La Nina phenomenon, much of the non-biodegradable stuff will flow to Laguna Lake resulting to increased water pollution. I continued telling them that the accumulation of wastes on the water surface decreases the rate at which aquatic photosynthetic life forms may perform photosynthesis. Except for my eleven-year old kid, my two boys and my husband understood completely what I said. It was actually a fast discussion while we had our dinner. In between my sharing would be some laughter because I mentioned not so familiar words in Biology. They teased me for being so “scientific”. We went home with some questions at the back of my kids’ minds. True enough, when we were at home, my high school son insisted that I explain more about water pollution.
Not all people would know that due to water pollution, the aquatic organisms’s ability to survive is restricted and this tolerance limit restricts the organisms to operate more efficiently. The key concept here that I learned from Module 1 is “Limit to Tolerance”. Covering the surface of the water with such non-biodegradable waste materials will cause decreased dissolved oxygen since there is no chance that sunlight penetrates down the waters. Due to this, some organisms down below may be killed. This kind of abiotic environment has an effect on other organisms which may thrive in the place. It is because the biodeterioration or biodegradation of solid wastes is not complete since the enzymes of microbial communities that feed on its residues cannot cause its disappearance or conversion into another compound. Sewage and waste-waters such as the effluent from bathrooms, kitchens, laboratories, laundries and clinics which also add to the water pollution. In addition, the sewage effluent from industrial wastes discharged to sewer will lead to accumulation of heavy metals in important aquatic animals. All these physical and chemical variables are important in order to evaluate the ability of important organisms to survive.

On my part, as I realize that industrialization and urbanization can not be controlled if only for the improvement of the economy of our country, perhaps an action I will do is to solve this environmental issue on water pollution by coming up with a research on a kind of microorganism which has the ability to degrade important solid wastes in Laguna Lake, thus improving water quality and maintaining an aquatic environment that will favour the growth and survival of the aquatic life forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment